How do you balance the holidays and self-care?
The holiday season has started and goes to a few days after New Year’s. It’s a busy time of the year. It can also be a stressful time of year if you don’t take control.
Between planning big dinners, hosting/attending parties, shopping for everyone (and their brother,) you are going nonstop. Then you start the New Year in a bad mood or tired as all get out.
Starting today, take an inventory of your time. What have you committed yourself, time, and family to?
It’s ok to say NO.
* Let family visit you this year. I get it. My family loves it when we visit them during the holidays. They love spoiling the kids, and the girls love it too. Traveling is tiring and can be stressful.
* This may mean that you can only attend 2 of the ten parties you are invited to.
* Don’t accept invites after a specific date. For example, I will not accept any holiday parties or outings invites at this point. Why? Because I need to focus on my well being. And my schedule is already set.
Yes, the holidays are time to spend with family and friends. BUT, you also can’t and shouldn’t burn yourself out.
It’s ok to say YES!
* Yes to a night sitting on the couch with your feet propped up relaxing. Enjoy a nice, warm cup of hot chocolate.
* Yes, to gifting yourself something nice. And it’s just for YOU!
* YES to YOU to take time for YOU!
Do NOT forget your wellbeing this holiday season. It’s the season for giving, but don’t overdo it to the point of not giving to yourself.