March 15th is the designated birthday of the American Legion. It marks the day the first American Legion caucus convened in Paris in 1919. The American Legion is a Veteran Service Organization (VSO). They are set up to aid veterans in their community in many different ways.
According to the American Legion founding documents, their purpose includes:
- To uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America
- To maintain law and order
- To foster and perpetuate 100% Americanism
- To preserve the memories and incidents of our associations in all wars
- To inculcate a sense of individual obligation to the community, state, and nation
- To combat the autocracy of both the classes and the masses
- To make right the master of might
- To promote goodwill and peace on earth
- To safeguard and transmit to posterity the principles of justice, freedom, and democracy
- To consecrate and sanctify our comradeship by our devotion to mutual helpfulness
Each year Legions across the country hold events, parties, ceremonies to celebrate the American Legion Birthday. Check with your local Legion for any celebrations near you!