Father’s Day can be such a special day for so many. A nice movie can be a great way to spend the time, whether you can do so together with your Dad or not. Here is a list of 9 movies to watch on Father’s Day. Some will make you laugh, some will make you cry, but all of them will highlight the special relationship a father can have with his children.
1) Christopher Robin – This sweet movie stars Ewan McGregor as the main character, Christopher Robin, who is a father himself. Winnie the Pooh and his friends help him find the magic once again.
2) Father of the Bride – This father-daughter story, and a remake of the 1950s version, is almost a Father’s Day requirement. Steve Martin’s character’s one and only daughter is getting married, and he is going a little crazy coming to terms with it all.
3) Mamma Mia – This is a winner if you like musicals because this is definitely a musical. Filled with ABBA’s music, Amanda Seyfried plays Sophie, who is trying to figure out who her dad really is, so he can walk her down the aisle. And it all takes place on a beautiful island in Greece.
4) The Lion King – This Disney classic from 1994, or the “live-action” version from 2019, is a heart-wrenching tale about a son losing his father, and his way, but also with bits of humor, thanks to Pumba, and lots of music.
5) Daddy Day Care – After losing his job, Eddie Murphy’s character starts a home day care for his and other neighborhood children. This one will make you laugh.
6) Interstellar – Enjoy Sci-Fi? In this movie, the earth is dying. Matthew McConaughey plays a former fighter pilot who will do anything to try to save his children and the world.
7) Finding Nemo – We had to include this Pixar movie all about a dad searching for his son. Yes, they are fish but his search leads him on quite the journey. And Dory will always make you laugh.
8) The Pursuit of Happyness – Will Smith plays a homeless father protecting his young son. This is also based on a true story and you will most likely tear up at least a few times. Will Smith’s real-life son Jaden, plays his son in the film.
9) National Lampoon Vacation – Chevy Chase is back in this American classic. Follow the family on a road trip to Walley World, running into some hilarious situations along the way. It will make you want to plan your own road trip…maybe.