How does it make you feel when you have to purge before a PCS?
It’s everyone’s dream to have an easy, mess-free PCS … yet we all know that’s rarely the case. Items are lost or broken, dates never match up to when movers are supposed to arise, there’s a delay in getting your new house, and so on. While we can’t prevent this seemingly PCS curse, we can do everything in our power to make the move as stress-free as possible. Like getting rid of all your extra stuff!
Let’s face it, the longer you’re at a duty station, the more you seem to accumulate. By clearing out the extra you’ll not only have less to move, you can eliminate items from being lost and/or broken while picking up a little extra spending cash while you’re at it.
Remember to get rid of:
1. Seasonal items that won’t be relevant. Heading into an opposite climate? Ditch the stuff you can’t wear! It’ll be years before these items will be able to be used or even helpful again, so save yourself the trouble of storing it away in the meantime.
2. Items your family has outgrown. If you have young kids, get rid of the toys they no longer need. The same goes for infant or toddler items that can take up a lot of space. In a similar light, if your family has outgrown hobbies or rarely uses appliances, etc., toss ‘em! There’s no use in hauling around items that rarely see the light of day.
3. Whatever’s broken or overly rundown. When a shelf breaks, it’s easy to glue it back together or remove a single slat to provide some extra longevity. But when moving, toss the entire thing! Keeping it will only up the chance it will be further broken in transit.
4. The extras! Whether you choose to go Marie Kondo on your entire house or simply go through what you don’t use, it’s a good idea to consider your belongings thoroughly so you can lighten the load before moving.
5. Anything not worth moving. You know those giant pieces of furniture that are impractical all around? Sell them. Don’t risk moving heavy items or wasting too much of your weight allowance. You can get more furniture.
The good news is that, wherever you PCS, there will be others getting rid of similar items so you can likely pick them up for a deal.
Do you love to purge before you PCS?